Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Celtic Christianity

"Although the 'Breastplate of St Patrick' has been popular as a hymn ever since its translation into English in the nineteenth century, the earliest version known belongs to a time three centuries after Patrick's death.  What we can find in it--or in the hymn 'Be thou my vision, O Lord of my heart'--is the atmosphere of this obscure period.  Here was a faith deeply personal but also securely orthodox, accepting battle against the magic of paganism, creating a Celtic Christianity full of confidence in its Lord and in itself."--from pp. 32-33, Christian England: Its Story to the Reformation by David L. Edwards

2 comments:

  1. Hello, Faithful Legacy!

    I just stumbled across your blog while searching for google images of characters from the Glorious Revolution, and I'm so glad I did! I am a major British history buff, and my main interest focuses on the period from the reign of King Henry VIII through King George III. Evidently we share some of these interests! I loving this site the more I read your articles!

    By the way, I run my own blood which too which you can find by clicking on my username! Your welcome to browse the history stuff I have on there, too!

    God Bless,
    Pearl of Tyburn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the kind words! I am glad that this blog is a blessing to you.

    Non Nobis Domini,
    Jordan

    ReplyDelete